Monday 7 May 2012

Chillie Peppers - The Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Chilli

I have seen some scary sites in my time believe me, I have but when I saw this photograph of a Little girl with a Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Pepper in her mouth, ready to bite into it, the first thing that went through my mind was “I wonder if she did?”

I love spicy food, I even grow my own peppers as I live in Andalucia in southern Spain, in the mountains above the Costa del sol and the folks here do not like spicy food, the nearest they come is a mild curry sauce that they have on diced pork kebabs, nothing more although they do grow peppers in their millions to use in Pimenton, it’s like Paprika and is added to foods such as black pudding, sausages, Gambas Pil-pil (Pirri-Pirri) prawns in olive oil, and lots of other things, in fact, pimenton is the main ingredient for most dishes. There are two types, Dulce (sweet) and Picante (Hot!!!!)

I grow the Birds Eye Chillies along with Marbles and the Red and Green Anaheim type chillies we see in salads and used in stir fry cooking but not the red hot ones and I haven’t seen any Scotch Bonnet plants on the markets. In fact, I’m a bit of a Chilli geek, if that’s the right phrase, I really do love my food hot and if you said to me you could cook something for me with the mighty Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chilli (2009,231 Scoville units) I would be your friend for life.
Scoville Units, for those not familiar with the term is a way of classifying the heat or strength of Chilli Peppers. For example the Bell Pepper is rated 0 on the Scoville Scale and the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chilli is the same strength as ..Wait for it..US Police Pepper Spray! Pure Capsicum is the hottest pepper weighing in at about 15,000,000 – 16,000,000 Scovilles.
So, you can understand why I was wondering if this little sweetie was about to bite into the Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (100,000 – 350,000 Scovilles) I was sent the photo by Lisa, the CEO of Jamaican Treasures (yes, the best luxury villa rentals company in the Caribbean Islands) and apparently, the little kids grow their own Jamaica Scotch Bonnet  chillies and were in the process of harvesting them when the photos were taken. Competition time. Did the little girl take a bite or was she just posing for the photo? Answers to Robbie@jamaicavideos.co.uk



I noticed her brother was doing the same but looking at him, I bet he did (and enjoyed it!)
PS. The reason for this post is to get Chef Broderick, the bestest chef in the whole of the Caribbean to send me his recipe for Jerk chicken. C'mon Chef Broderick, I'm waiting!


http://www.jamaicantreasures.com
Email
lisa@jamaicantreasures.com
We also recommend you visit this link for Sandals Holidays in Jamaica http://www.jamaicantreasures.com/sandals.php

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or link of interest. If you have a business in Jamaica, please leave a link for people to visit.