Monday 21 May 2012

Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees dies at the age of 62 from colon Cancer

Robin Hugh Gibb 1949 - 2012

Today is a very sad day as I woke this morning to hear of the death of musician Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees. Although this news was not unexpected it was nonetheless saddening.  Robin Gibb had been ill for some time, he went into hospital some 18 months ago for an intestinal problem and it was whilst he was in having tests that they discovered a tumor and he was diagnosed as having Colon cancer whish had also spread to the liver.
Born Robin Hugh Gibb in December 1949 to Barbara and Hugh Gibb in Douglas on the Isle of Man, the family later relocated to Manchester before immigrating to Australia.
Robin Gibb along with twin brother Maurice and eldest brother Barry formed a group in their teens called the Bee Gees (B.G’s a pseudonym for Brothers Gibb) and began writing and performing their own material but it wasn’t until they relocated to the UK that success came, with such songs as ‘To love somebody’ ‘New York Mining disaster’ ‘First of May’ ‘How can you mend a broken heart’ ‘Gotta get a message to you’ and countless other timeless classics. Robin also had success as a solo artist with a number of hits that included the rather odd ‘I started a Joke’ (odd because no one to this day, not even the Bee Gees knew what it was about, some say it was a reference to Jesus Christ and others had their own take on the lyrics, Robin himself was at a loss to explain the meaning behind the song. Although Maurice and Barry are credited along with Robin, they helped with the middle section, the main body was Robins. )
The Brothers fell out for a while, each going their own way until common sense (or financial sense) prevailed and thankfully it did otherwise we would not have had the 70’s (imagine what life would have been like without Saturday Night fever!!!) they were credited with beckoning in the Disco era (Cheers lads!)
From thereon in there was no letting up and success followed success as they wrote and produced for stars like Celine Dion, Barbara Streisand, Elvis,  Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, Dianna Ross, Dian Warwick and countless others, their music was covered a thousand times over in some cases. They were eventually honoured by HM Queen and awarded CBE’s in 2002.
Tragedy was to strike though and the premature death of youngest brother Andy Gibb from a heart attack, the passing of twin brother Maurice Gibb from colon condition and then Robin has caused mother Barbara Gibb to say that this was payback for all the success the band had, maybe so, maybe not but Barbara Gibb is now in her nineties, maybe longevity has its drawbacks.
Thankfully we have been left with lots of music and other material from this fantastic of singer /songwriting group and their music will last many lifetimes. RIP Robin Gibb, thanks for the memories.
I started a Joke
I started a joke, which started the whole world crying,
but I didn't see that the joke was on me, oh no.

I started to cry, which started the whole world laughing,
oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was on me.

I looked at the skies, running my hands over my eyes,
and I fell out of bed, hurting my head from things that I'd said.

Til I finally died, which started the whole world living,
oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was on me.

I looked at the skies, running my hands over my eyes,
and I fell out of bed, hurting my head from things that I'd said.

'Til I finally died, which started the whole world living,
oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was one me.

What do you think it's about? let me know becasue I'm baffled as well!
http://www.jamaicantreasures.com
Email
lisa@jamaicantreasures.com
We also recommend you visit this link for Sandals Holidays in Jamaica
http://www.jamaicantreasures.com/sandals.php  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or link of interest. If you have a business in Jamaica, please leave a link for people to visit.